What does the life insurance claims process look like?
How to file a claim
Beneficiaries—the people you choose to receive the cash benefit from your policy—can file a life insurance claim either by phone, email or mail.
- By Phone: Please call 1-800-779-5433, Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CT.
- By Email: WavClaimsMail@cunamutual.com
- By Mail: You can send copies of your claim information to:
CMFG Life Insurance Company
2000 Heritage Way
Waverly, IA 50677-9202
What information do I need to file a claim?
Please send us the name, date of birth, date of death and policy number of the person who has insurance. If you’re not the policy beneficiary, we’ll need that person’s address and contact info. Also, policies less than two years old may be asked to show proof of your policy status, like an invoice.
Will I be asked for additional information?
We may ask for more information if the policyholder died during an accident. Some of the most common accidents include:
- Motor Vehicle Accident: Please send the Police Report and the Blood Alcohol Report if the insured was driving at the time of the accident.
- Fall: Please send the Police/Accident/Incident Report or the Attending Physician’s Statement.
- Prescription Overdose: Please send the Police/Accident/Incident Report and a list of prescriptions from a doctor or pharmacist.
- Homicide: Please send the Police/Accident/Incident Report.
In all of these cases, you need to send a copy of a certified death certificate along with the documents listed above.
If the beneficiary is an estate (a collection of the deceased’s money, property and other possessions), a trust (an account that holds the deceased’s money for a certain amount of time), a minor (someone under 18) or is deceased themselves, additional documents will be needed to process a claim. Please contact one of our Claims Specialists for help.
How long will it take for my claim to be settled?
Normally, claims are processed 3-5 business days after we’ve received all completed documents and forms. We’ll then send you a letter of confirmation, a state of values and your settlement check through the mail. We do have other payment options available. Please contact us for more information.