What does the life insurance claims process look like?
How to file a claim
Beneficiaries—the people you choose to receive the cash benefit from your policy—can file a life insurance claim either by phone, email or mail.
- Online: myclaim.trustage.com
- Email: ConsumerClaims@cunamutual.com - to protect your and the insured's privacy, we encourage you to send notification via the secured email of your preference. Sending an email or attachments is not secure unless you take the extra step to send it via a secure method.
- Phone: Please call 1-800-779-5433 Ext. 483-1999, Monday through Friday, 7:00AM to 5:00PM CST.
- Mail: You can send copies of your claim information to:
TruStage Insurance Company
PO Box 61
Waverly, IA 50677-9202
TruStage Insurance is issued by CMFG Life Insurance Company, part of TruStage Financial Group, Inc.
What information do I need to file a claim?
Please provide the insured's name, date of birth, date of death, and policy number(s). If you are not the beneficiary on the policy, you may be asked for the beneficiary's address. Please note: Policies in force for two years or less will require additional documentation for claim review.
Will I be asked for additional information?
We may ask for more information if the policyholder died during an accident. Some of the most common accidents include:
- Motor Vehicle Accident: Please send the Police Report and the Blood Alcohol Report if the insured was driving at the time of the accident.
- Fall: Please send the Police/Accident/Incident Report or the Attending Physician’s Statement.
- Prescription Overdose: Please send the Police/Accident/Incident Report and a list of prescriptions from a doctor or pharmacist.
- Homicide: Please send the Police/Accident/Incident Report.
In all of these cases, you need to send a copy of a certified death certificate along with the documents listed above.
If the beneficiary is an estate (a collection of the deceased’s money, property and other possessions), a trust (an account that holds the deceased’s money for a certain amount of time), a minor (someone under 18) or is deceased themselves, additional documents will be needed to process a claim. Please contact one of our Claims Specialists for help.
How long will it take for my claim to be settled?
Normally, claims are processed 3-5 business days after we’ve received all completed documents and forms. We’ll then send you a letter of confirmation, a state of values and your settlement check through the mail. We do have other payment options available. Please contact us for more information.